Followers

Friday, November 3, 2017

SPICY GLAZED PUMPKIN WITH COCONUT SAUCE

For this month’s cookbook countdown event, I have chosen a ‘big’ recipe book which consists of 500 recipes.  The name of the book is ‘500 Curries’ where you will discover a world of spice in dishes from India, Thailand and South East Asia, as well as Africa, the Middle East and the Carribean.
With a wide range of delicious, spicy recipes to choose from this book, I may be spoilt with so much choices..  Should I thank my hubby for getting me this book or complain he is giving me too much work to do?  Hehehe! 

This is the first recipe which I tried and I like it.  So, is going to be thanks to him, lol…  and I shall continue to try some other recipes from this book to share with all of you who loves curries be it mild, red hot or more complex in tastes.
According to the cook, pumpkins, butternut squash and winter melons can all be cooked in this way.  Throughout Vietnam and Cambodia, variations of this sweet, mellow dish are often served as an accompaniment to rice or a spicy curry.

Recipe adapted from the book ‘500 Curries’ with slight modifications

Ingredients
300 gm pumpkin flesh – cubed
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1 cm piece ginger – chopped
100 ml thick coconut milk
1 tbsp fish sauce or nuoc mam – popular fish sauce from Vietnam and Cambodia
1 tbsp gm palm sugar or jaggery sugar
1 tbsp cooking oil
100 ml water
Some ground black pepper for taste
1-2 sprigs curry leaves or Basil leaves
Some chilli oil from drizzling [optional]
Some fried shallots [optional]
  1. Combine coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl until sugar dissolves.
  2. Heat oil in a non stick wok, sauté garlic and ginger until golden, add in the pumpkin cubes.  Stir to mix well for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Pour in the coconut milk and water, mix well, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until pumpkin is tender and the sauce has reduced.
  4. Season with black pepper and add in curry leaves or Basil leaves.
  5. Dish up, garnish with fried shallots and drizzled with chilli oil if preferred.
  6. Serve hot with plain or coconut rice.
Cookbook Countdown
I am sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown Event #23 hosted by Joyce and Emily of Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray respectively  

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love pumpkin so this is well suited for me. Love how you used the curry leaves as decoration.

Emily said...

Oh wow! I do have the right ingredients plus pumpkin to use up!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, the seasoning is surprisingly good. I simply throw the curry leaves in, extra fragrant.

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, do try and hope you like it.

kitchen flavours said...

I have this book! I have tried quite a number of recipes from this book and like most of them. Will have to take a look at this recipe and give it a try one of these days! Looks good!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, great but I find the wordings too small for my eyesight. Perhaps you can highlight some recipes which I can try from this book. Browsing through 500 recipes is going to be very time consuming, but I am sure I like this dish, hehehe!