Followers

Monday, May 8, 2017

STEAMED CHICKEN WITH SHRIMP PASTE

This recipe is at least a quarter century old.  It is from my collection of recipe books dated 1992.  Just wondering how I can keep the book for so long and yet never tried a single recipe at all.  Anyway, I was thinking of giving away this book but before I do so, I found several recipes that look easy and simple.  I had earlier tried a homey dish, ‘Stewed Winter Melon with Tofu Puffs’ which is simple enough, healthy and tasty.

Back to this second dish, only a few procedure  to follow and you get to enjoy a tasty chicken dish that is aromatic, a little spicy and savoury.  Great to go with steaming hot rice.
Recipe adapted from 'Lisa Yam's World' Cookbook with modifications
Ingredients
300 gm chicken meat pieces with bones – cleaned  and pat dry
Some chopped spring onions [keep some for garnishing]
Marinade [mix well]
1-1½ tbsp toasted hard shrimp paste [belacan] or preserved shrimp paste
1 tsp chilli boh
1-2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp each of  cooking wine and sugar
Dash of pepper and sesame seed oil
1 tbsp cornstarch

  1. Marinate chicken pieces with the marinade for at least an hour.
  2. Place marinated chicken on steaming plate.
  3. Steam over boiling water for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Steaming time depends on the size and type of chicken meat used.
  4. Remove from steamer, garnishing with chopped spring onions and serve immediatey.
Cookbook Countdown
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown Event #17 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Emily of Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe Kimmy, same case as me having lots of recipe books and some at least more than 50 years old and yet never bother to try the recipes. This belachan chicken dish looks very appetizing sure can wallop extra rice with it. Going to try it out tomorrow but with extra chilli padi as I prefer it very spicy. Have a nice day.
Florence

Kimmy said...

Hi Florence, I worked with loads of books and whenever I come across recipe books, I will keep a copy thinking that I will try them. Never imagine life passes by so fast that I only make use of them after a few decades. If you don't like too much gravy, do pat dry the chicken pieces before marinating. Happy trying.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I have some cookbooks which I've kept for decades and have never attempted any recipes from them yet! Your steamed chicken looks so delicious! Good that you have tried at least one recipe from that book!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, finally I got to enjoy some new dishes from this cookbook. Happiness is that my family gets to enjoy new dishes and the cookbook put to use. This steamed chicken dish is great. Love it.