Followers

Friday, May 19, 2017

EZCR#94 - TAIWANESE STYLE BRAISED PORK

Sometimes when I look at a recipe especially those with just a handful ingredients and simple seasoning, I was skeptical if it would be worth trying.  Honestly, most times I will give them a try because of its’ simplicity and really I am glad I tried. They did turn out well and good and I ended up jotting down the recipes because they are going to be very useful during my busy days.  

This braised pork dish [Kong Bak in Hokkien dialect] is one simple dish with only 3 main ingredients, some aromatics and seasoning yet it is awesome.  The sauce is perfect to spread over rice, the meat and carrots are tasty, aromatic and tender.   Best of all, it tastes even better after resting which means that this dish can be prepared way ahead of meal time.   That suits me well for busy days. 
I  am not going to  describe further, perhaps the pictures may convince you that this is a delicious pork dish.   I just love the pieces of lean pork with the thin layer of fat which is so good to chew at.  Pork belly can be used for this dish, too.

Recipe adapted from a Chinese TV Cook Show
Ingredients
400 gm pork shoulder meat [pork with some fats] – cut into big cubes
1 white carrot – peeled and cut wedges
1 red carrot- peeled and cut wedges
Some chopped coriander leaves
3 star anise
3-4 bay leaves
300 ml water
1 tsp oil
1 tbsp sugar
Seasoning
3 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp rock sugar

  1. Heat a non stick wok with oil, add in sugar to caramelize [dissolve sugar till big bubbles and brown].
  2. Add in pork pieces and stir fry quickly to sear and coat the meat well with the caramel.  Add in carrots, star anise, bay leaves and seasoning.  Stir to mix well  until fragrant.
  3. Pour in water, bring to boil.  Cover wok, lower heat and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce reduced to thick. 
  4. Dish up, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.

No comments: