Followers

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

STEWED ROASTED PORK RIBS

In Penang,  Chinese New Year to the Hokkiens of Taoist faith is incomplete without the ‘Pai Thni Kong’ [Jade Emperor God’s Birthday prayers].     At my paternal home, it has been 5  years, we did not celebrate this occasion because of the passing of my father [2011] and youngest brother [2013].   According to traditional, the family does not observe this practice for 3 years when someone in the family passed away.
It is only this year, the family celebrated this occasion in a rather elaborate way complete with almost all the necessary items as offerings to the God of Heaven.  One of the items was one whole roasted pig.  After prayers,  it was chopped up into pieces and distributed to relatives, friends and neighbours.  I asked my mum for the rib part [pai kut] which I like very much to make a stew or the popular Chai Boey.
This is the roasted ribs which I prepared.  It is aromatic and tasty, so good to go with rice or porridge. I can just say the flavor is something like canned stewed meat.

Ingredients
900 gm roasted pork ribs or trotter – cut into chunky pieces
500 ml water
5 cm piece cinnamon, 2 star anise, 2 cloves,2 bay leaves
1 big garlic – with skin
Seasoning
½ tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp each wine and oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
30 gm rock sugar
½ tsp each of pepper and salt to taste

  1. Place all the ingredients in a heavy based pot.  Bring to boil for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Lower heat and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce reduced to thick or consistency preferred.
  3. Dish up to serve.  You can thicken the sauce lightly with some cornstarch water before serving.

2 comments:

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! When I hear one whole roasted pi, wah..I lau nuar already LOL! Your dish must be delicious as roasted pork has so much flavors.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yeap, my young nephew was the one who foot the bill for it. I was quite surprised he wanted to add this item for the occasion. Agreed, the roasted pork was good and it wasn't salty as usual. Thanks to him that we get to enjoy it. I wouldn't buy the rib part to cook this, hahaha!