Followers

Thursday, August 18, 2016

THERMAL COOKER - CENTURY EGG PORRIDGE WITH SALTY CHICKEN

Since last month, Sundays will also be busy days of the week for me now.  This is all because I have accepted a request to be a committee member of a group which requires our contribution [time]. For the time being, if I wish to eat at home, my meal has to be simple.  
My thermal cooker comes in handy during such times.  Cooking porridge in it is quick and easy.  By meal time, my family can have a pot of porridge that is still hot or warm.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine Issue No. 72 [my selected cookbook for August Cookbook Countdown Event#8] - slightly modified
Ingredients
[serves 2-3]
1 chicken - keep whole with skin intact - seasoning with 1 tsp salt
1 century egg - shell removed and cut into pieces
1 piece fried tofu skin [fu zhuk] - soaked
some chopped spring onions
some crispy fried garlic
150 gm rice - washed and drained
10 cups water
Seasoning
salt, msg and pepper to taste
dash of sesame seed oil
  1. Bring water and rice to boil in thermal cooker pot, then add in chicken, century egg and tofu skin.
  2. Add in seasoning. Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
  3. Transfer pot to outer pot, close lid and leave it to continue cooking until serving time.
  4. Remove chicken chop or shred the meat and serve porridge with chopped spring onions and crispy garlic.
  5. Reheat porridge if you like it hot.

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, your porridge looks good! I enjoy century eggs and I do love their addition to the porridge. Yum! Yum!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this porridge is nice with mild flavours. But I find the century egg not that pungent, quality reason?

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Using the thermal pot is really a fuss-free way of making a meal! And your porridge looks delicious! I love mine with lots crispy fried shallots, chopped spring onions and lots of white pepper powder!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, to this day, I feel grateful to my BIL who gave me this wonderful pot. It is really so useful during my busy days. Actually, I did add lots of all the extras you mentioned in my bowl. Didn't take picture of it cos' I'm afraid it is too over 'tam chiak'.