Followers

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

EZCR#54 - FRIED FROZEN TOFU IN BLACK PEPPER SAUCE

My liking for frozen tofu started when I saw the chef preparing a dish with it on TV.   Out of curiosity, I tried it and just love it. Click here for the earlier recipe. 
In case, some of you may not know what is frozen tofu, do visit these sites for the details which was what I did before sharing this post.
The tiny holes in the frozen tofu soak up the seasoning which make it very tasty and adding black pepper gives additional flavour and aroma to the tasteless tofu.
Ingredients
1-2 blocks tofu - cut 2 cm thick slices
some broccoli florets 
some garlic slices
a few slices red carrots
a few slices ginger
Seasoning
1-2 tbsp each light soy sauce, wine and oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper [more according to own preference]
3-4 tbsp water
  1. How to Prepare Frozen Tofu? - Cut tofu into smaller pieces, place in plastic container, drain off excess water if any.  Leave it in the freezer for a day or 2 before use.  Thaw to room temperature before cooking.  Press out excess water before frying.
  2. Pan fry frozen tofu in a non-stick wok until golden brown. Push aside. 
  3. Add in ginger, garlic and carrots and seasoning ingredients.  Stir fry tofu to mix well with the seasoning. 
  4. Add in water, bring to boil, and simmer until gravy is reduced, then add broccoli.  Cover to cook for a minute.
  5. Dish up to serve.

2 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I have frozen tofu before but did not realize that it becomes porous and absorbs sauces better. What I noticed it that the texture is a bit weird hah..hah... I will definitely do it again because last week I discovered some tofu I bought had expired :(

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, the soft tofu in the tub is not suitable for freezing. I like the porous texture and it is not difficult to pan fry. Can be a versatile ingredient for stir fries, braising and soups. Happy trying.