Followers

Thursday, October 22, 2015

NYONYA KARI KAY [CHICKEN CURRY]

This is one of the Nyonya recipes which I bookmarked and tried from Pearly Kee’s book ‘A Nyonya Inheritance’. Compared to the other Nyonya Chicken Curry recipes [other recipes], I found this one a simpler version. Even though it is simpler, this curry tasted good with more gravy which is  thick, flavourful, aromatic and tasty. I like the colour, taste and texture. Overall, it is nice with rice, bread or roti jala.
Notice that SALT is the only seasoning ingredient.
Recipe adapted from Pearly Kee’s book ‘A Nyonya Inheritance’ – slightly modified
Ingredients For Curry Paste
2 fresh red chillies – coarsely cut
10 dried chillies – soaked and coarsely cut *
1 stalk lemongrass – finely sliced
8 shallots – peeled and cut 
3 cloves garlic – coarsely cut 
  • Grind the above ingredients together until fine [add 1-2 tbsp oil if it is too dry], then mix with the following ingredients. 
1 tbsp each of coriander powder, cumin powder and fennel powder 
½ tsp turmeric powder 
1 tbsp chilli powder [replace with* dried chillies]
Other Ingredients
600 gm chicken whole leg – cut bite size pieces
2-3 potatoes – peeled and cut wedges
1 piece 1 inch length cinnamon stick
1 small star anise
2 cloves
4-5 tbsp cooking oil
270 ml water + 90 ml thick coconut milk
1-1.5 tsp salt



  1. Heat oil in a non-stick wok, sauté star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick with curry paste until aromatic and oil separates.
  2. Add in chicken pieces and fry until they are firm and well coated with the curry paste. Stir fry until aromatic and add in potatoes. Stir to mix well, then add in the water.
  3. Bring to boil, then cover to simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are tender and gravy reduced. 
  4. Add in the thick coconut milk, salt and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Taste to adjust seasoning. Serve warm in a small claypot, if preferred.

Pearly Kee’s Tips – Chicken Curry can be cooked and left overnight, just allow the curry to cool down before putting the lid on with a small gap.



I am submitting this post to
Little Thumbs Up Event - October 2015 Theme - Coconut organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Jess of Bakericious



I am also submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event#27 - October 2015 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours


 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

6 comments:

Bakericious said...

curry chicken is always my favourite, yum!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jess, there are numerous varieties of curries with chicken but I don't mind cooking this often. It is easy and yet tastes good.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love curry chicken, and I guess everyone does! Haha! Your curry chicken looks so good! I mus really take a look at this book!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I have several versions of Nyonya Curry Chicken. This one is simple and good too. That prompts me to share the recipe here. I'm not trying some other recipes from this book. Just choosing the simple but good ones.

PH said...

Kimmy, I have always wanted to coon nonya style curries. But there are so many dishes I want to cook, so I haven't got to it yet hah..hah..

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, Peranakan curry chicken is delish and has a unique flavour hard to describe, that's why it is picked to serve with Nasi Kunyit for the child's full moon celebration. You must try to cook this. Sure you love it. I cooked this a day earlier before serving, it's awesome.