Followers

Monday, September 28, 2015

EZCR#24 - SAN BEI CHI NOODLES

While in Xiamen visiting relatives there, I wanted to try their Sar Cha Mian, Prawn Noodles etc. after having rice for meals for several days.  But I was told that noodles are mostly eaten by not so well to do families.  The more well off people will have rice for lunch and dinner.   I was tired of having rice and sneaked out to try Xiamen noodles.  The fresh oysters with hand-made noodle soup and Sar Cha Mian that I had were good.
Fresh Oysters Hand-made Noodle Soup

Back in Malaysia, the first meal I had at home was this San Bei Chi with noodles. This is something new to me. San Bei Chi is a fragrant and aromatic stir fry chicken dish, very popular is most Chinese food outlets.
Normally served with rice but here I used it to cook with noodles. You can also used Angel Hair spaghetti.
Verdict - tasty chicken and noodle dish that is not difficult to prepare.
Ingredients
[serves 3]
3 deboned chicken thigh – cut bite sizes pieces
3 cloves garlic – sliced
10 slices of ginger
1 stalk spring onions – cut 1 inch lengths
1 red chilli – seeded and cut strips
2 tbsp sesame oil
A bunch of basil leaves
Seasoning
3 tbsp each of light soy sauce and cooking wine
2 tbsp chilli sauce
2 tsp sugar
100 ml water
3 pieces instant noodles [any type] – cooked as per packet instructions
  1. Heat sesame oil in a non-stick wok, pan fry chicken pieces until brown on both sides. Push aside.
  2. Add in garlic, ginger, spring onions and red chilli to fry until aromatic.
  3. Add in seasoning and 50 ml water. Bring to boil and braise chicken for a few minutes.
  4. Add in blanched noodles, toss to mix well and add in remaining water.
  5. Continue to fry noodles until the water is almost dry.
  6. Add in basil leaves and toss well to cook.
  7. Dish up to serve immediately.

4 comments:

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! So you went to China, no wonder you have been so quiet :) This San Bei Chi is 3 Cups Chicken right? I just agak-agak the meaning with my limited Mandarin hah..hah.. I like this dish and usually it is served with rice. Very innovative to incorporate noodles into it. Yeah, can be boring eating rice all the time.

By the way, I discovered that you left me a comment asking about nasi dagang in one of my KT posts in August. So sorry I was not aware of your comment until I checked a spam message. Usually comments come to my email but somehow yours didn't. I did not reply because I don't know where is the nasi dagang stall hah..hah... Sorry yah...

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yes I was in Xiamen for 11 days visiting relatives and taking a look at the new building which was just completed, built at the site of our ancestral home. It was a good trip. You are right, San Bei chi is 3 Cups Chicken. This is tasty with rice and noodles, too. It's alright, about the KT question posted by my hubby. He visited KT in August and would like to try the Nasi Dagang there. I told him to visit your posts on KT before going on the business trip.

Unknown said...

Hi kimmy can I ask what type of chilli sauce is used in the noodles? Sambal chilli sauce can?

Kimmy said...

Hi Unkown, I used the Kimball brand sweet chilli sauce for this 3 cups chicken noodles. I'm not too sure about sambal chilli sauce cos' I have not use it before. Honestly, I'm trying my best not to use too much of the processed sauces in my cooking this days.