Followers

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

BRAISED MUSHROOMS WITH CHICKEN DRUMLETS

This is a typical Chinese dish that is very tasty with rice or noodles. The original recipe uses chicken feet [Phoenix Claws] but I’m not a fan for this part of the bird, so I replace it with chicken drumlets. But if you love Phoenix Claws feel free to cook this dish with it. The secret is to deep fry them then plunge them into a bowl of cold water so that the skin will puff up. This makes it better for the flavours to be absorbed during cooking.
Anyway, I’m happy cooking this dish with drumlets. It is easy to cook yet so tasty and good with rice. I believe it is good also with blanched noodles [wantan noodles or any fresh noodles]. 
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking Magazine [March 2002] with modifications
Ingredients
[serves 3-4]
9 pieces chicken drumlets [about 500 gm]
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder
8 pieces dried mushrooms [soaked and drained]
1 bulb garlic – with skin
1 2-inch piece cinnamon
1 star anise
½ tbsp cooking oil
300 ml water or enough to cover ingredients
Seasoning [combine]
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dark soy sauce
Salt to taste [I omit]
Dash of sesame oil

  1. Marinade drumlets with light and dark soy sauce for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Heat oil in a non-stick wok, pan fry chicken pieces until nicely browned. Push aside.
  3. Add in the garlic, cinnamon and star anise. Fry until aromatic.
  4. Add in the mushrooms and stir fry all the ingredients together for a minute. Add in the seasoning. Stir to mix well before adding the water.
  5. Bring to boil and taste to adjust seasoning.
  6. Reduce to low heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and gravy slightly reduced.
  7. Serve hot with rice or over noodles.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #26 [August 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

8 comments:

Veronica said...

Hi Kimmy, I believe this dish must be very flavoursome, especially with those spices you put in. Loved it.

PH said...

Kimmy, I would prefer the chicken drumlets too. Not really fond of chicken feet except in kerabu hee..hee...

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
This dish is so flavourful! I like chicken drumlets too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, this is awesome, delish and I like the taste very much.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I dare not try the phoenix claws in kerabu but I was told they are crunchy and good with the sauce.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, chicken drumlets is a good option compared to whole chicken wings. Less fats and more healthy, lol...

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love chicken feet, though I would never fry them at home, they will splatter the whole kitchen! I tried it once before. So now I always buy them already fried from the market! Your dish with chicken drumlets looks delicious, so perfect with a plate of rice! Thanks for sharing!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, yes definitely easier to buy the ready fried chicken feet for this dish. I have to substitute it with chicken wings of drumlets cos' chicken feet is a No-No for me..hehehe! My friends love braised fried chicken feet, so I never fight with them for it.