Followers

Thursday, April 30, 2015

EZ PALM SUGAR ABOK ABOK SAGO

Crazy over kuih sago and always on a look out for other reliable kuih sago recipes. So far, those that I have tried are workable recipes but this one is one of the best cos' it is simple, easy and yummy, yummy. Moreover, it is also a very economical kuih to prepare at home.
The kuih is chewy, soft and the sweetness is just nice for us. Coated with the white grated coconut and a little fine salt, the little pieces are irresistible. One or two pieces aren't enough. Very addictive.  Yummy 'black beauties'.
The recipe stated to soak the sago for 30 minutes but I soaked it much longer [2 hours] and the kuih was perfect. That means, it is alright to soak them a little longer not necessary 30 minutes. There are some minor changes to the ingredients to suit our tastes.
Recipe Source -  adapted from Anncoo Journal and Violet's Kitchen
Ingredients
[7 inch lightly greased sq. tin - I used the steaming tray of my electric steamer]
300 gm white sago
280 gm palm sugar [gula melaka] - chop to pieces
3 blades pandan leaves
80 ml water
200 gm white grated coconut [original uses 250 gm]
1/2 tsp salt [original uses 1/4 tsp]


  1. Boil gula melaka with pandan leaves and water until gula melaka dissolved as sugar syrup.  Strain and discard the pandan leaves. I prepared this earlier and leave to cool until required. The syrup is thick.
  2. Rinse and soak white sago in water [about 300 ml] for at least 30 minutes. I soaked much longer. Drain well.
  3. Mix white sago and sugar syrup together, stir well.
  4. Pour into an 6 inch square tin [greased lightly with oil], spread evenly and steam for 30 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
  5. Steam white coconut with salt for 5-10 minutes [I didn't steam it cos' I served the kuih right after coating with coconut].
  6. Cut kuih sago with a plastic cutter into small pieces and coat with white grated coconut. 
  7.  Serve.
Other Kuih Sago Recipes

6 comments:

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Hi Kimmy, kuih sago is my favourite kuih! Love it when it's soft, flavourful and full with coconut flakes. It's a pity I can't make it right now as I have no access to the ingredients, but bookmarking when I return to Singapore! :) Thank you for the recipe!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jasline, you must try this one. Really simple and easy, yet it is so yummylicious. BTW, it is good when chilled. I suggest not to steam the grated coconut if you are serving the kuih immediately after coating. Tastes much better.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, wow so colourful .... this kuih sago with coconut and palm sugar must be delicious !

PH said...

Kimmy, you have been making very lovely sago kuah! How I wish that I could sample some from you. That way, I don't have to make my own hee..hee..

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, these Kuih Sago are very suitable for gatherings. They are not only colourful but really yummy for 'sago' lovers like me. Moreover it is one of the cheapest ingredient for kuih making.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, can say that I'm 'sago siao'. Just can't resist Kuih Sago whenever I see them. The only thing that makes me shy away from it is the colouring [red or pink]. That's why I'm trying my best to use natural colouring. I'll be glad to share my kuih sago with you than I can try out more recipes, hehehe!