Followers

Monday, March 9, 2015

Banana Bread

 
This banana bread was made from the bananas given to me by my mother in-law when I was at her place. She bought lots of fruits and we couldn’t finish it during our stay there. She let us ‘ta pau’ lots of it cos’ there will be no one around to finish eating them after we left.
With so much fruits in the fridge and the bananas getting over-ripe, I had to quickly bake this banana bread instead of letting it rot away.
It tasted good, not too sweet but fragrant. I reduced a big portion of the sugar because these bananas itself is very sweet. 
The bread is moist but the texture is quite compact not like the cake. 
Recipe Source – At Home With Amy Beh [slightly modified]
Ingredients
[loaf tin 18 x 10 x 10 cm]
275 gm over-ripe bananas [I used pisang awak]
80 gm castor sugar [original uses 250 gm]
3 medium size eggs
350 gm plain flour
¾ tbsp bicarbonate of soda
100 ml corn oil
Mix together
100 ml milk + ¼ tsp salt

 

 

 

 
  1. Grease sides of loaf tin and sprinkle some flour over it. Shake off excess flour.  The bread will have crispy and brown sides.
  2. Sieve flour and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside.
  3. Mix milk and salt, set aside.
  4. In a mixing bowl, mash bananas, add in sugar and beat well until sugar had dissolved.
  5. Add in eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition on medium high speed. Drizzle in the milk and beat at low speed as you add it. Then drizzle in the corn oil and blend well.
  6. Fold in the flour in batches. Mix well to get a smooth batter.
  7. Pour batter into loaf tin. Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 150 degrees C and continue to bake for 50 minutes or until bread is done when tested with a skewer.
Notes:
For variety, add 50 gm chopped toasted walnuts after folding in the flour [I omit]
Cook-Your-Books
I'm sharing this post with Cook Your Books Event #21 [March 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

Photobucket
I'm also submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up Event on Bananas
 hosted by Faeez of Bitter Sweet Spicy

10 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
A delicious way of using all the leftover bananas. I made a banana cake too! :)
Thanks for linking with CYB!

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I can see physically see that the banana bread is fully packed with banana. Look yummy!

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I have several recipes on banana bread and cakes/muffins that I like to make but time is the main constraint. Will look out for your post on banana cake.

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, I love the fragrance of the banana bread or cakes. Cokodok and banana fritters are also good but much oily cos' they have to be deep-fried.

PH said...

Kimmy, luckily I had a peek at the LTU Banana post or else I would have missed your banana bread! I have always been curious why they call this a bread though it is more of a cake. Bread or cake, this banana bread is very good. I simply love an bakes that has bananas.

Linda said...

I absolutely love banana bread...yours looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Linda, thanks for leaving a comment on this humble blog of mine. Take care and be happy.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, actually I don't really bother whether is cake or bread so long it is good but I always watch out on the sugar content. I love more bananas in it. I'm saying again, this is much better than eating Kuih Kodok.

Anonymous said...

Here's a tip on what to do with those overripe bananas. Peel them and drop them in a ziploc bag then toss them in the freezer. They will keep for months. Use them for banana cakes/banana bread/cekodok or smoothies. When you thaw them for baking, don't discard the juices that seep out. Put them in the cake batter. They have lots of banana flavour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, Thanks for sharing this information. I have started doing this with leftover overripe bananas. It works well. But there are some people who are skeptical about the freshness of the ingredients, hahaha!. It is a valuable tip.