Followers

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Pumpkin Mee Java

This  serving is not enough for my hubby
Mee Java is always my family's favourite.  We can eat a rice  plate, no a big soup bowl of it and still not enough.
This is what I meant by 'A big soup bowl'
I remembered in one of my post on Home-cooked Mee Java, a reader asked if she could substitute sweet potatoes with pumpkin. I told her to try and let know me know the outcome.  Recently, I did use pumpkin paste to replace sweet potato.  There isn't much difference to the taste, colour wise it may be a bit pumpkin yellowish colour until you add in the tomato sauce.
Glad that I tried cos' the gravy and noodles are still as good and tasty.  Still thinking of it.
Ingredients for Soup
[serves 5-6]
150 gm pumpkin paste from steamed pumpkin
800 ml water
4 tbsp tomato sauce
1.5 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp msg
2-3 tbsp cornflour mix with 2 tbsp water [for thickening]
  1. Remove skin of pumpkin. Wash and cut into big chunks and steam for about 25 minutes till soft [I will prepare more and use it to bake bread or steamed buns].   While hot, mash pumpkin into a paste.
  2. Mix paste with about 1/2 the water and strain stock into a boiling pot.    Discard the rough and fibrous part if any which is left on the sieve.   This step is necessary to get a smooth thick stock for the soup.  You will notice the different stock texture here is very smooth.
  3. Add remaining water to stock.  Bring the stock to boil then add in salt, sugar, msg and tomato sauce.  Boil stock for 10 minutes and taste  soup to adjusting seasoning [the soup should taste sweet and slightly sourish] .   Then thicken with cornstarch mix.   Bring to a boil and off fire.   Double boil soup to keep the soup hot and prevent the bottom of the soup from being burnt because it is thick.  Or just reheat soup after preparing the noodles for serving.
Ingredients To Serve Noodles
600 gm yellow noodles
300 gm beansprouts - wash and drain [I tailed them]
1 potato - boiled/skinned and sliced
2 pieces firm beancurd - fried and sliced
1-2 hard boiled eggs - sliced
1 big tomato - sliced
150 gm char siew - sliced [store bought]
Lettuce leaves - cut shreds
6 calamasi limes [or more] - 1 for each serving
some fried shallots
chilli paste fried with some oil and salt [for spiciness]
  1. To serve noodles, prepare a pot of boiling water, cook noodles and beansprouts together [quantity depends on your own appetite].  Drip dry the noodles after boiling and place on serving plate.
  2. Top up with all the condiments [sliced  potato, fried taukwa,  tomato, eggs and char siew].  Put 2-3 scoops of hot soup [quantity enough to cover noodles] over noodles,  top with lettuce, fried shallots and lime wedges.  Add in fried chilli paste to serve [if you want spicy noodles].
  3. Serve hot.
Note: Can add more tomato sauce or any of the above ingredients according to own preference. Some people prefer to mix yellow noodles and rice vermicelli. All depends on own preference.

7 comments:

Ana Regalado said...

Kimmy , Happy New Year to you and your family !!! I love noodle soup , more so during winter and I'm partial to flavorful kind just like the one you have there . Any leftover , perhaps ?!:D

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

Happy 2015!!! Home-cooked is always the best and that's why I can see why mee java is always your family fav.

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Thanks Anne, yes soups are always good for winter or cold seasons. This noodle is definitely full of flavours and the variety of ingredients makes it so delicious. You can substitute with rice vermicelli if fresh yellow noodles aren't available. Sorry, we never have leftovers of home-cooked noodles, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Thanks Zoe, these days with people having the impression that food ingredients are more expensive, prices of cooked noodles have increased. The quality and quantity also varies. It's a sad thing this 2 have been compromised.

猫儿的天空 said...

Awww~ I was once interested to prepare homemade mee jawa but when I look at those tedious steps, I gave up! Now I have found a simple recipe suitable for a lazy bum like me! Thank you so much! I will definitely give it a try!

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheng, this one is super easy if you have ready mashed pumpkin or sweet potatoes in you fridge. You can prepare everything ahead of serving time. Happy trying.

mui mui said...

Hi Kimmy,
Happy 2015!
I'm salivating looking at your big bowl of Mee Jawa.
Yes,yes, homemade is always the best! I love yellow noodles only in my Mee Jawa. Yum!
Thanks for sharing this to LTU!
mui