Followers

Monday, January 26, 2015

CNY 2015 - Lemon Poppy Seeds Cream Cheese Cookies

Saw this recipe of Yan [Simple Menu] in 2013 and has bookmarked to do but didn't make it cos' I wasn't in the mood to bake cookies for 2014 Chinese New Year.
This year, I chose to bake these cookies ahead of other cookies as I have all the ingredients ready.  I have doubled the portion of this recipe to make more for giveaways.
Verdict - cookie dough is easy to prepare so long as the cream cheese is soft at room temperature.  Very buttery and aromatic with the lemon zest and cheese.  The citrus flavour make these cookies quite addictive.  They are crunchy but not the melt in the mouth type of cookies.
Ingredients
[double portion in red - makes 140 pieces]
140 gm cream cheese ( room temperature] [280 gm]
70 gm butter [140 gm]
100 gm castor sugar [200 gm]
1/8 tsp salt [1/4 tsp]
20 ml lemon juice [40 ml]
1 tbsp lemon zest [zest of 1 lemon]
215 gm all purpose flour [430 gm]
20 g poppy seeds [40 gm]
1 tsp baking powder [2 tsp]
1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda [1/4 tsp]

  1. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda in to a bowl.  Stir in the poppy seeds.
  2. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
  3. Add in salt, lemon zest and lemon juice.  Mix well.
  4. Fold in flour mixture on lowest speed in several batches.  Mix well.
  5. Rest dough for 10 minutes.  Shape into small balls, place on baking tray lined with parchment paper [leaving some space in between the balls] and use a fork to press the dough to create a design before baking. I used the serrated plastic cutter to make  the design.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C [middle rack] for 20-25 minutes.
  7. Remove to cool on wire rack before storing in airtight container.
     
I'm submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone Jan and Feb 2015 Event Theme: 
My Homemade Cookies by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-host by Victoria Baking Into The Ether

Hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well In Flanders
and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

22 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

oh lovely!!! the cookies with the addition of poppy seeds must render these with a good texture..

am loving your series of cookie bakes Kimmy!

thank you for linking up to Best Recipes!

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Cheese and lemon always go well,so I believed that this must be another yummy choice as CNY cookie.

PH said...

Kimmy, it's interesting that cream cheese is used in this cookie batter. It should be good with fresh lemony flavour.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
I like lemony fragrance and citrus flavour cookies. Thanks for sharing this recipe. If time permits, will bake some this year ^-^!

Madeline said...

Hi Kimmy, your cream cheese cookies look delicious. Plan to try it out. Can I leave out the poppy seeds cos I can't find them in Spore. thanks for sharing.:)

mui mui said...


Hi Kimmy,
Lemon and poppy seeds, I love this combo.
These cookies must be bursting with citrus flavor.
Like!
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, thanks for hosting the event too for me to share some lovely cookies recipes. So far I find this year's cookies that I baked very satisfactory cos' I saw my hubby nodding his head while enjoying the cookies [those extras left].

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, the cheese and lemon do make a difference in these cookies and moreover these aren't sweet.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, there is butter and cheese in these cookies. The lemony fragrance and taste is different from the usual buttery sweet cookies.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, it was the lemon and cheese ingredients that caught my attention to this cookie recipe. One of the first cookies that I baked for CNY.

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, I think you can cos' the poppy seeds doesn't affect the flavour or taste of this cookie. It's more for looks...

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, this cookie smells good while baking. My neighbour commented that he smells something good from my kitchen but didn't get to see what it is cos' I never share some with him, hehehe!

Baking Taitai said...

Kimmy, the lemony fragrance of your cookies have lured me here...may I have some please? ;p

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy, can you taste the cheese in the cookies? a new recipe to me:)

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, yes you can as you bite and munch on it. The proportion of cheese to butter is quite a lot. It could be noticeable if you are used to cheese flavour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, you are most welcome to have some. No problem to share, share, yours or mine, hehehe!

Fion said...

I never thought that using cream cheese in my cookies,brilliant idea!
Thanks for sharing with Best Recipes :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Fion, these cookies are buttery and the cream cheese gives the extra aroma.

angel said...

Hi, I made this cookies according to the recipe... but I'm using icing sugar instead of castor sugar. Is this affecting the outcome? my cookies taste chewy in the middle... when the outer is already turning golden?? If I bake longer it taste a bit harder at the outside but inside still chewy... =(

Kimmy said...

Hi Angel, these cookies are not chewy but has a bite after baking. The thickness of the cookies and your oven heat could be the cause of them to be under-baked or brown.

angel said...

This is under-baked right? If I baked longer it get burn at the bottom.. I guess it's the oven heat problem?

Kimmy said...

Hi Angel, the original recipe uses 190 C for 20-25 minutes which is too hot. I reduced it to 180 C and baked for a shorter time and made the cookies smaller and not that thick. It turned out just nice.