Followers

Monday, November 24, 2014

Dried Longan Pineapple Soup

I'm back from holiday in Thailand.  Tried so much of their desserts, noodles and soup.  All on the very sweet side to my taste-buds.  This dessert is incomparable at all with Thais sweet desserts.  I cooked this before going on holiday.  Now I appreciate this dessert even more.  Our pineapples are good and cheap cos' I came across a stall in Chiangmai selling one whole cut local small pineapple for 100 bahts.
Chance upon this recipe in Y3K Magazine No. 69.  Looks delicious before I noticed the additional information about its properties.
Before I go on with the recipe, it's better I share the health properties of this dessert first.

Herbal Properties
tranquilizes the mind
improves blood production and pressure
good for insomnia
warming tonic for weak bodies
Dosage: Taken once a day for 1 week on a trial basis
Verdict- very nice dessert served warm or chilled with simple ingredients.
Ingredients
200 gm pineapple flesh - cut and soaked in 200 ml water with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes, then drained
100 gm dried longan flesh - rinsed
100 gm red dates - rinsed and seeded
1500 ml water
3 tbsp brown sugar to taste
  1. Bring water to boil, add in pineapples and red dates to cook for 1/2 an hour.
  2. Add in dried longan and continue to simmer for about 1/2 an hour or until water has reduced to about 1 litre.
  3. Add sugar to taste and serve.
     
     
     
     
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #18 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
Cook-Your-Books

10 comments:

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, welcome back ! Yes dried red dates & dried longan dessert help to improve the body blood production and circulation/pressure.
Occasionally I make such dessert too. But have not added pineapple with it. Thanks for sharing ^-^!

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, thanks for noticing that I'm back home. After trying various desserts in Thailand which are extremely sweet especially those from the northern region, this dessert is much prefered by me now. Moreover it is so much healthy version of desserts compared to the ones packed with coconut milk, hehehe!

PH said...

Welcome back, Kimmy! This dessert I definitely will like as it has pineapple. Dates contain lots of iron and minerals and is very good for us. Imagine that a dessert that is good to eat and also good for the health. Can't find this sort of dessert very often :)

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I know my daughter will love this dessert, she loves pineapples. Thanks for sharing, and welcome back!
Hope you had a good holiday in Thailand!

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi Kimmy! You had been enjoying eating in Thailand ya! :D I'll definitely try out this dessert. I have all the ingredients and just have to get pineapples from the fruit stall.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you are right. After trying quite a number of tong sui all over Thailand, I think ours is more healthier. Ho Liao,too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, was telling my hubby that I can't believe this 2 'senior' musketeers could go to so many areas in a day and enjoy so many different kinds of food during our trip. Still much to see and try. Best part is we didn't feel tired at all especially watching the float processions for 3 consecutive nights.

Kimmy said...

Hi Amy, you must try cooking this. I'll pick this instead of the Thai Tub Tim Krob. The Thais really loved their food sweet especially the northern region. I saw the locals adding 3 tsp full of white sugar to their small bowl of noodle soup. My gums hurt after trying several of their desserts, sweet and with ice. This isn't good for our teeth.

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Kimmy, in fact I was thinking of cooking this wonderful dessert quite sometimes back when I chanced upon it in Y3k magazine. I especially love their TCM column. Cheers to you for being so efficient and not like me, used to procrastinate but no action, hahaha... Now, this wonderful post reminds me not to be too lazy. Thanks for sharing Kimmy and warmest regards :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, I'm not hardworking. It's just that I have been jotting down recipes all over and wanted to clean up the mess. This one looks good and turned out to be good. Lucky, lol.