Followers

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Natural Colour - Crystal Snowskin Mooncakes

WISHING ALL READERS

HAPPY MID-AUTUMN FESTIVAL

[MOONCAKE FESTIVAL]

DO ENJOY THE VARIOUS MOONCAKES

 
Crystal snowskin mooncake is actually pandan flavour [green colour] pin pi.
The original recipe comes from Yum Yum Magazine No. 80.  The filling used in this recipe is coconut paste. Instead of coconut paste, I used pandan lotus seed paste [store bought] for the filling as I was lazy to prepare it. 
The recipe below is only half portion of the original recipe as I was making some others at the same time.

Basic Ingredients for the Snowskin [Pin Pi] - slightly modified the method
[makes 70 x 5  pieces]
120 gm kao fun [fried glutinous flour]
70 gm icing sugar
1 tbsp shortening
175 ml pandan juice*
* [blend 3 big pandan leaves with about 200 ml.  strain and chill until required]
Filling - store bought
[100-110 gm x 5 mooncake paste]
500-550 gm pandan lotus seed mooncake paste
some toasted melon seeds
  • mix toasted melon seeds with the pandan lotus seed paste.  Divide into 5 equal portions [70 gm].   Roll into a ball.  Chill until required.   This can be prepared earlier and chill in the fridge.
  1. Sift kao fun and icing sugar in a bowl.
  2. Rub in shortening until it resembles bread crumbs.  
  3. Pour in chilled pandan juice.  Knead into a soft and smooth dough.  Cover to rest for at least 30 minutes.
  4. Divide pin pi into 5 portions.  Roll into a ball.
  5. Flatten dough in between plastic sheet and wrap filling.  Shape into round.  Coat dough with some kao fun and press into a mooncake mould.
  6. Knock out the mooncake and place in mooncake container, chill it in the refrigerator before serving.

I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #16 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg


    I'm sharing this post  to Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme:Mooncake hosted by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom
     An InLinkz Link-up

10 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, maybe next year I should try a hand at making mooncakes :) This pandan flavour one is my favourite.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this year I wasn't in a mood to make many varieties. Too many recipes to do and AI'm at a lost. Pin Pi mooncakes are nice. Cool and soothing if the filling is not too sweet that's why I added the savoury tau sar. Will update the photos later.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, oh I can see the image of the mooncakes a pair of love birds 鸳鸯 ! I'm also very lost seeing so many varieties of mooncakes .. so many beautiful designs. I'm really blessed to learn from you and other blogger pals. At least I could make my 1st mooncakes ^-^!

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, you won't stopped with only one. Many will follow, hehehe!

QembarDelites said...

ahh got tausah as the yolk, I was wondering that that is:D Looks delicious, will try next year...my mooncakes making moon gone liao lol!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, I used this tau sar to mix with cream cheese for the filling. This year I skipped this. Too many varieties, spoilt for choice. These days we can make mooncakes anytime.

Fion said...

Hi Kimmy,look such a pretty snow skin you made,makes me wanna have one too..

Thanks for linking with Best Recipes,our next theme would be ~~ Chocolate ,waiting for your participate too :)

Kimmy said...

Thanks Fion for our invitation. Will try my best to share next.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Fion for our invitation. Will try my best to share next.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
It has been many, many years that I've made any mooncakes. Am so lazy! Seeing your lovely mooncakes and the ones made by other bloggers, never fails to amaze me with the creativity, both in designs and flavours!
Thanks for linking with CYB!