Followers

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mee Hoon Kueh - 麵粉粿 (Hand Made Noodles) Soup

A very homely noodle, mee hoon kueh used to be popular in most Chinese homes. It is similar to the noodle which we call Pan Mee. However, mee hoon kueh is neither yellow or springy in texture like other wheat noodles, as alkaline water is not added to it.  Since ready made Pan Mee is easily available at most supermarkets, fewer families are preparing this noodle at home.

It is a comfort food for the family. The dough can be prepared and refrigerated until required. It can be rolled into strips but authentic mee hoon kueh should be torn into pieces by hand and the texture is different from that of the machine rolled.
Recipe Source - Home Cooking Magazine - July 1999
Ingredients for Noodle Dough [serves 5]
300 gm plain flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour [optional]
1 tsp salt
1 egg - lightly beaten
2 tbsp cooking oil
150 ml water [as required]
  1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  
  2. Make a hole in the centre, add in the egg and oil.
  3. Slowly knead the flour mixture into a dough, adding water gradually until it forms a soft dough.
  4. Shape into a ball, cover to rest for at least 1/2 hour before shaping the mee hoon kueh for a quick preparation [I prepared the dough earlier and refrigerate until needed].
  5. Flatten the dough and shape into noodles with a noodle maker or pinch the dough into small flat pieces [mee hoon kueh].
  6. Bring a big pot of water to boil, blanch the mee hoon kueh to cook.  When the kueh floats up, it is cooked.    Dish up and add to boiling soup to serve.
Ingredients for Mee Hoon Kueh Soup
50 gm anchovies - rinsed and drained
150-200 gm minced meat
3 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut strips
a bunch of sweet leaves [mani chye] or choy sum
1.5 litres water
1 cube ikan bilis stock granules
salt and pepper to taste
some chopped garlic
some chopped spring onions or coriander leaves 
  1. Marinate minced meat with some salt, pepper, sesame oil and cornstarch.  Shape into meatballs, set aside.
  2. Heat up some oil to fry anchovies until golden and crispy.  Dish out.
  3. Using the remaining oil, fry garlic until aromatic, add in the mushrooms.
  4. Add in the water, bring to boil for several minutes.
  5. Add in minced meat, seasonings to taste.
  6. Add in blanched mee hoon kueh and vegetables.  
  7. Once vegetables are cooked, dish out into individual bowls to serve.
  8. Top noodles with fried anchovies and chopped spring onions/coriander leaves.  Serve with cut chillies in soy sauce.

I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #14 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

29 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
We absolutely love mee hoon kueh. I make this at least once a month! My version has no egg for the dough. When I was young, my mom used to call this "cubit-cubit", because of the pinching of the dough!
Just made this two weeks ago, and probably will make this again in a week or so! And I must have my sliced chili padi with see yau and a squeeze of lime to eat with this! Delish!
Thanks for linking with CYB!

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! I have not eaten mee hoon kueh as yet but I am sure it is delicious. Your soup is so flavourful with ikan bilis. Hope that you are feeling better.

Bakericious said...

I eat this from young, even now my mum also cook it occasionally for us :D

Victoria Bakes said...

Oh Kimmy... Such a not good time for me to read this. I just landed in Brazil and wished I had a bowl of this piping jot MHK in front of me!!

Joceline Lor said...

这个我喜欢吃的。周末回家妈妈煮了给我吃。

Baby Sumo said...

Kimmy, that looks very yummy. You make me think of my dad's mee hoon kueh... he makes the best one I've tasted. :)

ann low said...

Hi Kimmy, I love Ban Mee and Mee Hoon Kueh, especially the soup. Your hand made noodles look so delicious!

Baking Taitai said...

It's simple pleasure eating a bowl of Mee hoon kueh, love to try yours, one bowl please!

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy...I love mee huen kuey but can't get the hang of tearing it into even pieces, so always ended up with huge chunks lol! yours looks good!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I love this too but didn't cook it often, afraid my family doesn't like this being served too often, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it's quite similar to Pan Mee but this is chewy in different shapes and sizes. Just when for blood test. Hope it's alright.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jess, my grandma cooked this occasionally but that was a long time ago.

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, enjoy the football games, forget about home food, lah.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, so lucky of you, Mama cooks this for you. My mum never cook this.

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Sumo, any chance to taste your Dad's MHK? Definitely more delicious with all his love.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ann, me too loves the tasty and ingredients of this soup. All blends very well. Maybe I'll cook this soup minus the noodles once in awhile.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, I'll KIV yo next tur request time.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, you can cut the dough into very small pieces, then use your finger tip [index finger] to press it. Looks like the ear shape. You can get your children to help. It's fun.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, you can cut the dough into very small pieces, then use your finger tip [index finger] to press it. Looks like the ear shape. You can get your children to help. It's fun.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

mmh....drooling!
I am drooling! Your mee hoon kueh looks so inviting,can I have a bowl with more soup please!

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, sure you can help yourself with a bowl of this noodle.

Amy Baking Diary said...

Kimmy, This islike Joyce, this is my favourite. I usually have this for lunch during work.

Kimmy said...

Hi Amy, the soup goes well with the kuih pieces.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy, My husband and our kids (British) loves Pan Mee especially with chicken & fresh button mushroom. Birds eye chilli, lime juice, chopped garlic and soy sauce.. yum!
Love your blog and thanks for sharing. xx

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for visiting my humble blog. I like to share simple, easy to cook dishes without compromising its' taste and quality. Your encouraging comment is much appreciated.

Amelia said...

Hi Kimmy,

Tried out this recipe today and it was great! Living in the UK now so this really brought back a taste of home :) I also added some chop fried haebee into the dough mixture to make it more fragrant. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful recipe and have a great week ahead!

Kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, happy to have your feedback and idea of adding dried prawns. I believe it must be better than the plain noodles and you are enjoying this Asian dish in UK which I think is freezing cold now. Cooking ideas can be versatile and it's no venture no gains. You too have a great time cooking Asian food in UK.

Nic said...

Hi Kimmy, if I am making for one person, can I keep the balance of the dough in the freezer?

Kimmy said...

Hi Nic, I have not tried this, perhaps you can reduce the portion and it is very fast to knead the dough. You can keep the noodles in the fridge for maybe 2-3 days but make sure they are well coated with flour in a plastic bag.