Followers

Thursday, January 9, 2014

MY Family Butter Cookies [CNY 2014]

I wasn't in the mood for baking any cookies this Chinese New Year cos' I lost my youngest brother on Christmas Day in a road mishap.   In fact, I had prepared the ingredients for this cookie on Christmas eve but didn't get to bake them until now.   With or without mood, as a daughter in-law, I still have to bake some cookies for my mother in-law's CNY celebration.  Luckily, this is an easy, simple butter cookie recipe which is also my family's favourite.  These cookies  are buttery, crispy and not sweet at all.  The dough is easy to handle and for piping with any star nozzle mould.
Ingredients
[makes 120 pieces]
250 gm butter [I used Golden Churn brand]
110 icing sugar
1 small egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
300 gm plain flour - sifted 
4-5 red cherries - diced
  1. Cream butter and icing sugar until light.  Add egg, vanilla essence and salt.  Continue beating until creamy and fluffy.
  2. Stir in sifted flour and mix until well combined.
  3. Remove a portion of the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle fitted to it.
  4. Pipe star rosettes onto baking trays lined with parchment paper.
  5. Place a piece of diced red cherries on each rosette.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  7. Remove to cool on wire rack before storing in airtight container.
I'm submitting this post to the Bake Along event hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids,
 photo logo121.jpg

All recipes are on Petitchef

25 comments:

Veronica said...

Kimmy, I am sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences to you. Take care.

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy, you are a good daughter in law to be making an effort even though you are still grieving...nice cookies, I love the before baked cookies, so pretty!

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, thanks.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, the thought that my brother won't be tasting these oookies is unbearable. I'm making only the minimum. Some may not understand that feeling.

Sokehah cheah said...

Hi Kimmy. So sorry that you lost your brother. My deepest condolence to you. DO take care. You're indeed a filial daughter-in-law to make these for your MIL.

Lite Home Bake said...

Your cookies are very pretty. Your selflessness is a shining example...hugs

Baby Sumo said...

Hi Kimmy, sorry to hear about your loss. It is never easy to lose a loved one. Your MIL must be grateful that you made these cookies for her.

Delphine said...

Kimmy,
Very sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences to you. Take Care.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Lovely cookies for CNY!
Being a DIL does have a certain duty , I supposed it is our culture. Take care.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Soke Hah, sometimes ppl don't believe it takes time to heal esp. when I lost my Papa just 2 years ago.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Lite Home Bake, your hugs do mean at a lot to me.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Baby Sumo, I just don't have the heart to make more cookies now. Afraid they wouldn't turn out well even with the best recipes.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Delphine.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Joyce, it's expected especially when ones MIL is of age I just hope there is some flexibility with this kind of culture.

lena said...

all i can say is one certainly needs time to grieve and heal and you are one with a big heart, thx for linking, kimmy.

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Kimmy, so sorry for your loss. By the way, your butter cookies look very beautiful and yummy.Take care, Kimmy :)

Kimmy said...

Thanks Lena, I'll try my best. Hope through blogging, it may help a little. Thinking of the 3 females [wife and 2 young daughters] and my mum that he left behind is unbearable.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Ivy, these cookies are really good.

Victoria Bakes said...

Omg Kimmy, my condolences .... Kudos to your spirit of upkeeping your DIL duty....

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I'm sure your in-laws can understand the difficult time that you are experiencing and wouldn't expect much for CNY this year.

In regardless of all situations, I must say that you have baked these cookies very well.

Please take care.

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, thanks but knowing them, I know they wouldn't cos' nobody else is doing the work. My MIL is quite 'handicapped' now with her knee op and weak wrist but still wants things to be done her way.

PH said...

Kimmy, my sympathies to you. It will take a while to get over your loss. Please take care. I'm bookmarking your cookies to try after CNY.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Phong Hong, I didn't bake much for this CNY. The thought of my later brother not around to taste them this year is painful. So I stopped buying any more cookie ingredients after I had finished with those in hand.

Unknown said...

Hi Kimmy, I'm very very sorry to hear about your loss. Condolence to you and family. I've been following your blog a lot. Stay strong for your family, but it's okay to grieve. Take care!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jennifer, thanks for your kind words. I really don't know how long it takes for the family to get over it. The first year is very difficult as I lost my Papa who was 82 just 2 years ago and now my youngest brother. He was so much younger.