Followers

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

QQ and Soft Sago Kuih

Anything cooked with sago [sweet or savoury] is always my favourite.  This is one of them which I loved to buy from the kuih vendors [be it Malay or Chinese] but nowadays  kuihs are getting expensive in terms of the costs of ingredients.   An easy dessert to prepare yet nice to serve as snack or dessert for gatherings.  
This QQ kuih is cut into bite size pieces, then coated with freshly grated white coconut with a little salt added to taste.  As I say, nice and suitable for all ages.  The kuih texture was more Q [chewy] the next day and it stays soft when chilled in the fridge.
Ingredients
300 gm sago soaked with 700 ml water for 5 hours
60 gm castor sugar
100 gm palm sugar [gula melaka] - finely chopped
1 freshly grated white coconut mix with 1 tsp salt - steamed for 5 minutes
  1. Divide soaked sago in 2 equal portions.
  2. Mix castor sugar to 1 portion and gula melaka to the other portion.  Stir until sugar dissolves.
  3. Scoop the white portion into a steaming tray [can use an 8" steaming tray] and steam for 15 minutes.  I used the steaming tray from my electric steamer [the kuih doesn't stick to the base or sides after steaming].
  4. Pour the gula melaka portion over the steamed white portion and continue to steam for about 40 minutes or until sago is clear.
  5. Remove from steamer to cool completely before cutting into bite size pieces [best  to cool for several hours or overnight].
  6. Coat sago pieces with grated white coconut before serving.

9 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, nice kuih which I haven't eaten before. I can imagine the soft chewy and fragrant kuih and the grated coconut makes it even yummier!

Amelia said...

Hi Kimmy, I love sago kuih too. Yours look very inviting, wish I can have a few pieces now for my coffee break .:))

Have a nice day.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I don't fancy kuihs esp. those that requires coconut milk but this is my favourite. Try it and I believe you would love it.

kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, with this portion, I could get quite a lot of it which was enough for my family, 2 neighbours and my mum.

Rumbling Tummy said...

I would love to try out this recipe as I had excess sago right now. Thanks for sharing.

kimmy said...

Hi Edith, glad you'll be trying. Remember to soak the sago first. The rest of the steps are easy. You can shorten the process just by steaming it in 2 layers.

Anonymous said...

Kimmy, After the soaking do you drain the sago before steaming?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy, should the soaked sago be drained before steaming?

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, the sago will soak up all the water. This is how the sago will become soft and when cooled overnight it is QQ/soft.