Followers

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dhall Curry


Again too much meaty dishes during the week at my mum's place, wedding dinner and family gathering, so really crave for something less oily and light from my own kitchen.  Cooked this dhall curry cos' my hubby bought some dhall when he went to the Indian shop to get some Psyllium Husk [see more here].
Here's a simple Dhall curry which I cooked to serve with steaming hot white rice for a weekend dinner.  With some banana leaves left over from making Oh Choe Koo, I used them to serve the hot dhall curry over rice.
Ingredients
200 gm dhall [soaked for at least 2 hours or overnight]
some Indian herbs [cumin seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaves, cloves, cardamon]
4-5 dried red chillies - soaked and cut small pieces
3 shallots - sliced
3 cloves garlic - sliced
3 green chillies - sliced2 tomatoes - cubed
1 carrot - cubed
1 potato - cubed
100 gm long beans - cut small pieces [about 1/2 inch length]
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
2-3 tsp tumeric powder
1500 ml water
1-2 tsp salt  to taste
  1. Heat a little oil in a sauce pot.  Saute shallots and garlic until aromatic.  Add in all the Indian herbs, continue to fry until fragrant.
  2. Add in the dried chillies, green chillies and curry leaves.   Fry for a while.
  3. Add in the rest of the ingredients.  Stir to mix well.
  4. Add in the dhall and water.  Let the water boil, then add in the tumeric powder.
  5. Boil for 5-10 minutes, the lower fire to simmer until dhall is soft.
  6. Serve hot with rice or flat bread.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy dhall when having roti canai. Going with rice is great too. Shall cook it one day.

kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, yes you should. You will love it. Simple and not spicy at all.

PH said...

Kimmy, I also love dhall curry. I can just eat this with rice and nothing else. Also good with toast.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, that's exactly what I did with the Dhall Char. Add papadum when serving, even better.

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

I love dhall curry! Can eat lotsa steam rice just with it. I wanted to make it a long time ago, and just realised that packet of raw dhall is still in my fridge :p

kimmy said...

Hi Esther, good time to clear it before CNY [more stuffs coming into the kitchen, hehehe!].