Followers

Sunday, October 28, 2012

EZ Braised Herbal Roast Trotter

A pork dish which is always a favourite of my nephews.  Instead of the normal pig trotter used for braising, this dish uses roasted pig trotter which is easy to prepare and quick to cook.  The crispy skin of the roasted pork when braised becomes spongy and not that fatty.
Ingredients
2 roasted pig trotter - chopped into chunky pieces
5-6 dried red chillies - washed
5-6 slices of dong quai
1 piece 3 cm length cinnamon stick
2 star anise
some light soy sauce
some dark soy sauce for colour [optional]
some palm sugar to taste
enough water to cover meat pieces
  1. Chopped roasted pig trotter into chunky pieces
  2. Place meat pieces in a heavy based pot.  Add in dried red chillies, dongquai, cinnamon stick and star anise.
  3. Pour in water enough to cover the meat pieces.  Bring it to a rolling boil.
  4. Add in light soy sauce, palm sugar and dark soy sauce to taste.
  5. Bring it to a boil again, turn to low heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until meat pieces are tender but chewy.
  6. Serve hot with plain white rice.

Note
- do not add too much light soy sauce because roasted pork is already quite salty.
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by Sharon of  Test with Skewer
 Please join us!

10 comments:

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Hi Kimmy, i love to use roast pork trotters for braising! but my version is usually with a combi of cinamon,star anise and clovers. have never used dong quai with cinnamon and dried chili before....hmmm. sounds very interesting, must definitely try this. I had some freshly frozen trotter pieces in the freezer.

Kimmy said...

Hi Esther, my mum prefers to fry the roast pork trotters before braising but now she agrees that this way is good too. Give it a try and let me know if your family likes it. If you like it QQ, don't braise it for too long time.

PH said...

Aiya, how could I have missed this post! Kimmy, very lau nuar lah see the pork trotters. I love it so much! Do you buy the ready roasted pork trotters or roast it yourself?

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, indeed very yummy. I bought it for RM 20/kati. It's okay to use any parts of roasted pig but cut into chunky pieces. Today my mum tried this method using roasted chicken... I didn't get to try it cos' I didn't stay for dinner.

Madeline said...

Wow Kimmy, this looks yummy. Will give it a try, hope it doesn't push up my cholesterol levels heehee. Any recipes for lowering cholesterol? :p

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, these days roasted pig trotter is not so oily as before. I drink mulberry tea to lower my cholesterol. It is effective for me [from 6.2 to 3.96 and HDL is optimal].

Madeline said...

Kimmy, where can I buy mulberry tea? Chinese medical shop? What is it called in Chinese? How much to drink n how often shld I drink it?

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, in Chinese it is called 'Sang Yeh'. The fruits looks like berries and known for improving eyesight. Check up this website for the photos and benefits http://www.exhibithealth.com/general-health/health-benefits-of-mulberries-631/
I got the leaves from the roadside [grown by some house owners]. I dried the leaves and store them. To consume - I rinse 2-3 leaves than steep them in hot water, cover and drink it when it has cooled down, only once a day. My friend even use the branches and leaves to cook soup with pork ribs. For the sweet version, she boils the leave with some kei chee and molasses sugar. Check the web for the images and look around your area. You may be able to find them.

Madeline said...

Hi Kimmy,
Thanks for the link to the benefits of mulberry. Wow they are very beneficial to health according to the write-up in the website. But I have not seen these kind of trees around my area here. I thought that u need to take the fruits. Didn't know that the leaves and branches are beneficial too. Think I have to find the tree from nurseries and plant one in my garden :)
Thanks again Kimmy.

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, my neighbour bought the plant somewhere near the wet market for RM 12 [was about 4 feet high in a pot]. Now bearing fruits.