Followers

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Soft Buns With Cheddar Cheese/Raisins

I made these buns with the basic recipe from Cathy's blog 'Trying out new toy'.  The buns turned out lovely and soft.  But I added some cheddar cheese and raisins as filling for the buns.  You can omit the filling if you are making plain buns.
Here's the recipe for these lovely buns which remains soft for 2 days.
Ingredients - Straight Dough Method
[makes 9-12 buns]
200 gm bread flour
50 gm wholemeal flour
30 gm  shortening [I used 20 gm]
8 gm milk powder [I used 1 tbsp]
45 gm sugar [I used 2 tbsp]
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg 
7 gm dry yeast [I used 2 tsp]
120 ml water [I used milk]
egg glaze or milk  - optional [my opinion is to use milk]
Oats for toppings - optional
cheddar cheese and raisins - optional
  1. Knead all the ingredients (except shortening) together with a dough hook until a soft dough is formed.
  2. Add in shortening and continue kneading until the dough is soft, smooth and elastic or window pane stage [I knead until the dough leaves the bowl clean and does not stick to the fingers when touched]. 
  3. Shape into a ball and cover to proof for 1 hour or double in size.
  4. Punch out air from the dough and divide into 9 - 12 equal portions.  Shape into balls. Wrap a small piece of cheddar cheese and some plump up raisins with each piece of dough.   Seal the edges and shape into a round ball.  Place dough seam side down on paper casing.  Repeat the same for the others.   
  5. Proof for 1 hour.  Brush buns with egg glaze or milk.  Sprinkle oats.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven @ 190°C for 10 - 15 minutes.  Remove to cool on wire rack.
Notes
I prepared the dough until Step 2, wrap the dough in a thick plastic bag.  Tied up with a rubber band and kept it in the fridge a day before baking these buns. Just thaw the dough to room temperature before shaping.   In this way, I can have my soft buns ready for late breakfast around 9.00 - 10.00 am the next day.

2 comments:

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hi Kimmy, all the bread were puffed up in perfect, round shape!Nice!

Kimmy said...

Yes, Jessie. Quite a portion of wholemeal flour used too but the buns were really soft and moist for 2 days [thereafter I don't know cos' alrdy finished]