Followers

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sambal Dried Prawns [Sambal Hae Bee]

I love sambal dried prawns sandwiches with sliced cucumber or fresh mint leaves.  I also love sambal dried prawns with plain white rice and cucumber/mint leaves.  Recently, my neigbhour [the one for whom I baked the extra loaf of  bread] gave me a packet of dried prawns [good quality one].  So why not, make the sambal, serve it with rice, use it as my buns' filling?

Search all over and found this recipe from Amy Beh's collection, but I change some ingredients for my own convenience.  This is a good recipe, the sambal dried prawn  is not salty.  Should be good as bun filling.

Ingredients
200 gm dried prawns - soaked, cleaned and lightly pounded [I use the blender]
2 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with 100 - 150 ml water, strain to obtain juice
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced [I omit]
1/2 cup oil

Spice Ingredients [Ground to a paste]
5 dried chillies, soaked [I substitute with 1 tbsp chilli boh]
7 red chillies
10 shallots
2 cloves garlic
2 stalks lemongrass
1/2 tsp tumeric powder

Seasoning
3 tbsp sugar or to taste
1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt or to taste [depends on the dried prawns]
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules [I used msg - Ajinomoto]
  1. Prepare the ingredients as above.
  2. Heat oil in a wok and fry the spice ingredients over medium low heat until aromatic.
  3. Add in the tamarind juice.  Bring it to a boil.  Add in the dried prawns.  Stir fry until well combined.
  4. Add in seasoning and kaffir lime leaves [if using].  Reduce the heat and keep frying until mixture is almost dry and crumbly [to the desired texture].  Drier if using as bun filling.
  5. Dish out and leave to cool.  Serve with sliced cucumber or fresh mint leaves.


No comments: