Followers

Monday, February 20, 2012

PUMPKIN BREAD LOAF I [SPONGE DOUGH METHOD]

This recipe is for 2 loaves of bread.  Measure half the quantity if you are making only 1 loaf [550 gm]. 
This bread is very soft and moist even on the third day.  But I realised the texture is also fine which I believed could be due to longer kneading time.  I kneaded a little bit longer and on faster speed because the dough was a sticky.  I did not add any water to the bread dough.  Good recipe to keep.
Ingredients for Sponge Dough
150 gm bread flour
150 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast
250 ml water
  • Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough.  Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours.  Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
300 gm bread flour
2 tbsp milk powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp  salt
200 gm pumpkin puree
50 ml water or omit
50 gm butter [2 tbsp]
  • Add all the ingredients [except water and butter] to the sponge dough.  Knead until well combined, then gradually add in water [if necessary] while kneading until a soft dough is formed.  Knead for about 10 minutes then add in butter.  Continue kneading until soft, smooth, elastic and dough does not stick to the fingers [about 15 minutes on high speed].
  • Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
  • Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Roll and fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log.  Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for more than an hour or until double in size.  [You can divide dough into any number of equal portions to make small loaves or braid it as I did this time].
  • Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes.  Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.

8 comments:

Lynn said...

hi Kimmy,

I made the pumpkin loaf using your recipe just last Saturday. I love the texture so much.
The dough is very easy to handle and easily passed window pane test.

Q: Sponge Dough:
1. can I prepare it day before (> 4hrs) and use it on the 2nd day?
2. will it proof in the fridge? what happen if it does?
3. after thawed, must it be proofed before adding to main dough?
4. how long do you think it could be stored in the fridge for use in next stage?

I would like to make this again and it's definitely a keeper.

rdgs
Lynn



Kimmy said...

Hi Lynn, glad that you have succeeded in making this bread and like it. Here are my answers to your questions:
1. Yes
2. Yes, make sure the plastic bag you use is durable, can stand the expansion otherwise the dough may spill out. Doesn't matter.
3. No, just mix it in and as usual knead until window pane stage. The following steps remain the same.
4. 2 days should be okay.

Lynn said...

Thanks, Kimmy.
For the plastic bag, do I need to use extra large bag to contain the proofed dough?
I asked because I tried another recipe to proof dough overnite, turned out the dough spilled out n vvv messy. I got a nightemare:(
Can I proof the dough in plastic bag, overnite at room temperature?
BTW. Do u I can add mixture of nut, bran, oat or walnut into this recipe?

Kimmy said...

Hi Lynn, not necessary but make sure it is durable. I used 2 layers [about 10"x11" size plastic bags], press out as much air as possible before tying up. I know is messy cos' I have faced the same problem. Haven't tried leaving the dough in room temperature. I didn't add any other ingredients here but you can always try nuts, raisins or some chopped dried fruits like apricots and cranberries.

Unknown said...

Hi kimmy, why is it my bread does not dome and always tear on top?

Kimmy said...

Hi Liew, the main reason is when you roll the dough into a roulade. Sometimes, this happens to my bread loaves too. This needs practice and quite difficult to explain in words. Keep trying.

Lynn said...

Hi Kimmy, mine too often have cracked top. Should I roll tightly or loose?
This pumpkin recipe is my must make recipe every week. It never fail me except once. Other than that, it is a lovely recipe if not for the crack top. Next problem is sloppied sided after baked where the structure is not able to hold the height. How to resolve?
My failed experience was when it rose very well on first proofing, after shaping, it hardly rose up to 50%, do u know why?
Have u ever encountered same thing as above in your bread making?

Kimmy said...

Hi Lynn, after the first proofing, punch down the dough. Make sure there are no air pockets, roll to flatten the dough, fold three folds then roll to flatten again and roll up tightly into a Swiss roll shape. Seal the edges well before placing in the Pullman's tin. Do not over proof the dough for the second proofing. It does happen to me too and there could be many unknown reasons. So long as the dough is well kneaded and shaped, the bread is still chewy and soft though looks may not. It is a healthy bread.