For this Dual Coloured Steamed Paus, I used half portion of the skin dough from my Steamed Pandan Paus [recipe here] and half portion skin dough from my Steamed Custard Paus [recipe here] to make them. From this portion I made 16 green/yellow coloured paus. Nice colours with coffee flavour custard filling.
|Proof paus for 20 minutes or double in size|
|Steam paus for 10-12 minutes|
Coffee Custard Filling
[enough for 16 paus]
3 tsp instant coffee granules
100 ml hot milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp condensed milk
1 egg yolk - lightly beaten
10 gm custard powder
50 gm wheat starch [tang mein fun]
- Dissolve coffee granules with hot milk, then add in sugar and condensed milk. Mix well to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Combine custard powder and wheat starch in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add egg to milk mixture then gradually pour into flour. Stir as you pour until mixture is smooth.
- Boil mixture over low fire, stirring continously until mixture is thick.
- Off heat and add in butter. Continue to stir until butter is melted and blend well with paste. Store in a covered container. Refrigerate until required.